This week we’ve finished off Alternative Pizza Month over on Vine, with a quinoa based pizza. I first came across this idea in Deliciously Ella’s book, and although I’ve never been a fan of quinoa, I’ve slowly started coming around. We decided to give it a try and see how it would turn out.
It felt a bit strange to bake this in a quiche tin, but actually it was the perfect option. The base is a bit squidgy – there’s no way you could put it out on a pizza tray with holes underneath, as it will just drop through, so bear that in mind. Even with greasing it up it did stick a little, but once we got a pizza cutter underneath it came out just fine. It’s odd, but you can’t necessarily tell the quinoa is there unless you concentrate. Otherwise, the flavours of the toppings really dominate the base, so while it’s not an exact match for a “normal” pizza, it is a good alternative.
It tasted pretty nice to be honest, and I would be happy to make it again. There is certainly a health benefit for choosing this base over a normal dough base, which is great for those (like us!) who want to eat healthy but just love pizza way too much to stop eating it.
We did of course Vine the recipe, so here’s the video. Be sure to click through and take a look at our other Vines if you enjoy it!
Here’s the recipe if you would like to recreate it yourself:
- 195g quinoa
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pasta herbs
- Tomato puree
- Cheddar cheese (grated)
- Cheddar with chilli (crumbled)
- 3 chestnut mushrooms
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- Soak the quinoa in cold water overnight or all day long
- Drain any water from the quinoa and add to a blender with apple cider vinegar, pasta herbs, and a pinch of salt
- Blend until a smooth dough forms (it might take a bit longer than you expect!)
- Grease a pizza pan or cake tin with olive oil
- Place the mixture into the pan and smooth out to an even thickness
- Bake at 210c for 20 minutes - you'll see a big transformation to a darker and firm base
- Remove from the oven and spread tomato puree with the back of a spoon
- Add all toppings and return to oven
- Remove from oven when cheese is melted