This month we’re kicking off our first monthly Vine theme, with alternative pizzas. Tortillas were our first choice of base: they are healthier and easier to eat than normal pizza dough bases, and also take less time to cook. That makes them a win-win for any work night dinner for us!
Starting this week, J and I decided to put together a more structured schedule for our Vine posts. Every week from now on you’ll see one Vine plus the recipe for it here. We will also be sticking to themes each month, though this first post is just clearing out the last video we had left before we can get on to July’s theme.
This post marks the first in a new series: recipe adaptations! As well as bringing you recipes for delicious veggie burgers, I’ll also be bringing you adaptations of meat-based recipes going forwards. If you have a recipe to submit for this series that you would like to see adapted, please send it my way using the contact page! I hope these posts will also give meat eaters a view on how to adapt their favourite meals into healthy and veggie-friendly alternatives.
By the way, if you want to see what it looks like to cook them we made a vine!
On the VegBurge scale, I give this…
Taste – 9/10
Price – 8/10
Rest of experience – 9/10
My first idea with this recipe was simply to try and make a sweet potato burger from scratch. I’ve made a few burgers by now, I love sweet potatoes, and I had plenty of ingredients on hand. What could possibly go wrong? Well, a lot, as it turned out. Rather than burgers, I made something which had a very strange consistency. After eating the whole batch, we agreed that they were more closely related to scones, which was a little dent in my cooking ego. Though they were delicious, I have thus far refused to make them again, due to J’s constant insistence that he “would like to have those scones again”. Here’s how I made them.
I absolutely love the Deliciously Ella book, and have been regarding it as something as a kitchen bible ever since we got it. Naturally I had to try her quinoa and turmeric fritters! I’m not usually a fan of quinoa, but all the same, they looked great in the book. We decided to give them a go and serve them up as burgers.
Having tried out the Mexican veggie burger recipe of my own devising previously, I wanted to try something new. This time I put together some ingredients which I thought may be helpful, and which are our favourites from the cupboard in terms of taste. It was more a case of experimenting than having something particular in mind. I have been working on plans for possibly the best veggie burger of all time, but that will wait until later! At the moment I’m trying to perfect the technique as well as working on flavours. The recipe made six burgers, although they were very generously sized. If you wanted them to fit neatly into the average burger bun, you could most likely halve them and make twelve.
After trying a couple of recipes recently, I decided to work on my own veggie burger recipe. Although the results weren’t perfect, I’m sharing the recipe and how it turned out here. I’ll also mention how I would change it in the future. If you decide to give it a try yourself or make any changes, let me know how it goes! I’d be interested to see if anyone could refine it a little and eliminate some of the issues that I experienced.
I wanted to try a homemade Mexican veggie burger recipe, so I took a look around online and found my way to a post by Delicious. It looked good enough and seemed easy to make, so I decided to go for it. I did make a few tweaks to the recipe based on what I had in the cupboard and personal taste, so I will list my version of the recipe below.
I am quite excited to have my first recipe post to share with you, and to report back on how it worked out for me. I found this recipe online by Kathy Patalsky, and wanted to try it right away. We love sweet potatoes and cook with beans and spinach all the time, so it seemed like a perfect fit! I changed a few small details in the recipe, so I will record exactly what I put in and how I cooked it here. I actually even forgot a stage or two, so I will reproduce the recipe here with my changes added.