This week we wanted to share something deceptively simple, delicious, and full of flavour. This Thai-inpsired soup is vegan-friendly and is so lovely you will want to make a little extra for the next day. We made a Vine of how it’s done – be aware that this recipe can take a little longer to prepare than most of our soups thanks to the inclusion of the sweet potato, but it’s totally worth it.
We adored this soup – it’s so simple and filling, and the texture is really interesting. That little Thai flavour makes it perfect for spice addicts without being too strong for those who prefer mild heat. Yum! Here’s the recipe so you can recreate it yourself.
- 200g sweet potato, chopped up and peeled
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Thai curry paste (check vegan/vegetarian as required)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 250ml coconut milk
- Heat oil in saucepan and add sweet potato and onion.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes, until soft and starting to turn golden. Stir frequently.
- Increase heat and add curry paste.
- Stir-fry for five minutes until curry paste is cooking and fragrant.
- Add stock and coconut milk.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add to blender and blend until somewhat smooth - the soft sweet potato should easily be reduced to tiny fragments.
- Return soup to saucepan to heat through.
- Serve hot!
- Some brands of Thai curry paste will contain seafood, so be careful!