This month we’re kicking off our first monthly Vine theme, with alternative pizzas. Tortillas were our first choice of base: they are healthier and easier to eat than normal pizza dough bases, and also take less time to cook. That makes them a win-win for any work night dinner for us!
You don’t need much to make these delicious tortilla pizzas. Just the ingredients you would normally use, plus a tortilla for each pizza. And just like normal pizzas, you can buy a bigger or smaller base to suit your tastes.
Just a few more images of these delicious and healthy pizzas, which were so good we barely even noticed that we weren’t just eating a super thin crust of the real thing…
And now here’s the Vine, before you get bored – watch us whip up these great alternative pizzas!
If you’re curious about how we made them, here’s the recipe.
- 2 wholewheat flour tortillas
- 1/2 red onion
- Tomato puree
- Handful of mushrooms
- Handful of spinach
- Handful of pine nuts
- Gruyere cheese
- Place the tortillas into the oven on a pizza tray for around 10 minutes at 200c to crisp them up a little
- Cut the onions and mushrooms, and wash the spinach
- Grate the cheese
- Take the tortillas out of the oven
- Spread tomato puree across them, using the back of a spoon to smooth it out
- Layer all of your toppings on top: cheese, then mushrooms and onion, then cheese again, then spinach and finally pine nuts
- Place back into the oven for around 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted
- Of course, you can substitute your own toppings for a wide range of varieties!