We have another open quiche recipe for you this week! This time it’s caramelised onion and spinach. It’s a fairly simple recipe, but a bit more classic than our apple and cheddar version.
I love the open quiche format because it’s all the tastiness of the filling without the fattening pastry. As much as I do love pastry, it’s just too much to eat on a healthy diet. That’s why we’re trying out a few of these recipes to come up with variations that we enjoy the most.
The recipe is below, as well as the Vine – so you can give it a go yourself!
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic oil (other oils will also do)
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 7 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary (chopped)
- 20g cheddar (grated)
- 4 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 100ml oat or coconut milk
- Cook the onion in the oil for around 20 minutes. Take care not to let it burn (as I did!!)
- Place the tomatoes cut side down across the bottom of a baking dish, and cover with the onions.
- Wilt the spinach in your frying pan, then add over the top.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top of everything.
- Mix the eggs, rosemary and milk together and pour into the pan.
- Bake at 200C/180C fan in the oven until set in the centre for about 35 minutes.