This recipe may not be the prettiest, but I can assure you that this aubergine bake tastes AMAZING. What’s more, it’s so low in calories you could eat it all day long and barely see the difference.
I’m not always an aubergine fan, but there’s something about chopped tomatoes and cheese that makes everything better. Here’s the Vine so you can see how we made it, and be sure to scroll down for the recipe!
Here’s that recipe:
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 frozen garlic cube (or 3-4 crushed cloves)
- 2 medium-sized aubergines
- 1 small block of cheese - we mixed red Leicester and goat's cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200C..
- Fry the red onion and garlic over a medium heat for a few minutes until softened. Add the garlic when onion is ready if using fresh cloves, then cook for 2 more minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes and mix well.
- Season with a pinch of sugar and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the tomato sauce is thickened up nicely.
- Slice the aubergines lengthways or into circles, into slices 5mm/¼in thick.
- Brush the aubergine slices with olive oil and salt on both sides.
- Put under the grill for around 5 minutes on each side, or until all the slices are golden brown.
- Add a spoonful of tomato sauce to the bottom of a medium sized ovenproof baking dish and spread evenly. Top with a layer of the aubergine slices.
- Follow with more tomato sauce and top with a layer of thinly sliced cheese. Repeat the process for as many layers as you can, finishing with tomato sauce and the mozzarella.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 10 to 20 minutes, or until the dish is bubbling and the cheese melted and golden-brown on top.
- Serve immediately or reheat in the oven for 5 minutes after cooling.